Statement on the Death of Major General Harold J. Greene '80

August 5, 2014

Major General Harold J. Greene '80, left, with Rensselaer President Shirley Ann Jackson, Congressman Paul Tonko, and Rensselaer Professor Boleslaw Szymanski at the 2010 opening of the Social Cognitive Networks Academic Research Center.

To:   The Rensselaer Community
From: Shirley Ann Jackson, Ph.D.
President
Professor of Physics, Applied Physics, and Astronomy
Professor of Engineering Sciences
Date: August 5, 2014
Re:   Statement on the Death of Major General Harold J. Greene '80

It is with profound sadness that I write to inform you of the tragic, untimely death of a member of the Rensselaer family. Major General Harold J. Greene, a member of the Rensselaer Class of 1980, was killed in Afghanistan during a routine visit to a British military base near Kabul.

The thoughts and prayers of the global Rensselaer community are with Major General Greene's family, as well as his friends and fellow service members. Words fall short of expressing our sorrow for their loss.

Major General Greene earned his bachelor's degree in materials engineering and master's degree in management engineering from Rensselaer. He also earned a master's and doctoral degrees from the University of Southern California. Additionally, he received a master's degree from the U.S. Army War College and was a registered  Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

After graduating from Rensselaer, he received his commission as an engineer, and went on to rise to the rank of two-star general. He was highly decorated for his many accomplishments and successes. In his latest assignment, his responsibilities included providing acquisition oversight of Army systems and acquisition reform initiatives for the Army Acquisition Executive. Before that, he led the organization responsible for research, development, acquisition, and life cycle management of the Army intelligence, electronic warfare and sensor systems.

We were privileged to have Major General Greene join us on campus for the 2010 opening of the Social Cognitive Networks Academic Research Center. Last year, he was the Guest of Honor at the 62nd annual Joint Services Military Ball of the New York Capital District Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) in Cohoes, at which many Rensselaer students were in attendance and benefitted from his insight, experience, and humor.

Major General Greene was a leader, a thinker, and a person of action. He exemplifies the type of outstanding individual that we challenge all Rensselaer students to aspire to become.

As a decorated soldier and patriot, Major General Greene protected and defended our country and citizens with dignity, honor, and excellence. His service and ultimate sacrifice will never be forgotten.

Press Contact Michael Mullaney
Back to top